We’re all just happy to be here, plus Scherzer was a good get, and Bellinger vs. Beaty.
Y’all… with the additions of Scherzer and Trea Turner, it’s perhaps been a little sidelined before this week that in 2021, ALBERT PUJOLS WEARS A DODGERS UNIFORM. But this week is all about LA’s favorite Tío. As Chris Taylor said earlier this year, Pujols “cheers for his teammates more than anyone… he’s more happy for you than you are for yourself.” He’s giving away bats and balls to kids in the stands.
Knocks in a run and gives his bat to a young fan. Albert Pujols is the best. pic.twitter.com/WX11pwQPtb
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) May 23, 2021
He’s hugging his teammates after THEIR home runs.
Getting a hug from Albert Pujols > pic.twitter.com/3d3RJ42OU2
— Bush Leaguer (@BushLeague101) August 9, 2021
He’s stealing bases at 41.
Albert Pujols records his 116th career stolen base pic.twitter.com/J1IRvcxXm2
— VHS (@VanHicklestein) July 31, 2021
He’s hitting his own home runs, in St. Louis, IN A DODGERS UNIFORM (last night was #679).
He’s seemingly always smiling and is a living, breathing version of the expression “just happy to be here.” That energy was part of the reason the Dodgers wanted him in their clubhouse. And can you blame them? He’s a legend:
Albert Pujols in MLB history:
– 2nd in RBIS (2,148)
– 4th in XBH (1,366)
– 4th in Total Bases (6,034)
– 5th in home runs (678)
– 11th in hits (3,296)
– 13th in runs (1,869) pic.twitter.com/k92uDIisiX
— Héctor Gómez (@hgomez27) September 6, 2021
And so, there’s been lots of talk about where Pujols will play next year — if he plays at all — though some seem pretty confident he’s not done yet. For the record, he’s the oldest active player in MLB this year at 41 years, and 230-something odd days. Right behind him? Rich Hill.
- Fabian Ardaya and Katie Woo at the Athletic write about Albert Pujols and his return to St. Louis this week and the possibility that he wears a Cardinals jersey again
- Should Matt Beaty be taking Cody Bellinger’s spot right now? Dustin Nosler writes about Bellinger’s struggles over at Dodger’s Nation
- How does the NL race shake out over the next few weeks? David Schoenfield breaks down all the possibilities over at ESPN
- Molly Knight wrote an excellent piece at The Long Game: Trading for Max Scherzer Was a Good Idea
- LA Dodgers radio/tv announcer Tim Neverett was on KTLA to discuss his new book, Covid Curveball: An Inside View of the 2020 Los Angeles Dodgers World Championship Season